Sunday, January 13, 2013

Exploring the river bank

I have lived here since 1997, but never explored the river bank.  Based on our eastern neighbors rock work, it seemed there was a rock ledge about half way down the bank.  Today, I took my trusty chain saw and cut a path through the brush, trying to follow that outcrop along our heavily wooded river bank.

I started at the eastern side of the property, where the neighbors had built rock walls along the bank.  These walls generally followed outcrops that had always been visible.  Our bank has always been wooded, and devoid of obvious outcrops, but I could make out the general form of the outcrop's lip. Above the lip, the bank had only a shallow slope.  Below it, the bank was much steeper.  As I made a trail through the brush, I noticed junipers seemed to sit right on the lip.  All I had to do was cut a trail just up the bank from this line of junipers.

It turned out the line ran all the way from our eastern property line to the western corner.  In fact, just on the other side of the property western line, another outcrop emerges from the river bank. There is also a 2nd lower bank that seems to emerge about 2/3s of the way to the western property line. This one is about 6 feet below the first.

A very interesting trail!

No comments:

Post a Comment