Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Some successful cleft grafts

I made about 24 grafts this year in two sets of twelve.  Only 3 survived. I did the first set around mid April, and the second three weeks later.  They are about 2 months old
The above diagram of a cleft graft is the technique I used.  I wrapped the graft in parafilm, then duct tape.  After a month of rain, the duct tape was coming off and I lost a number of grafts when the wood dried out.  To hold the duct tape in place,  I wrapped yellow marker tape around the grafts.   At the time, I had 9 grafts showing some life, only 3 survived the heat of June..

Below are some photos of the successful grafts:

1. Tower Road cinerea on Red River Cinerea (5 week old graft)

2. Tanat on doaniana.  2 month old graft. Some of fungal problems from early May rains.

Red Symphony on doaniana.  2 month old graft.

No comments:

Post a Comment