Sunday, April 7, 2013

Doaniana Montague blossom















This bud survived a light frost Friday morning (31.6 degrees, some damage to seedlings I forgot to protect), and a hard freeze on March 26 (11 days ago, 25 degrees).

I think it is a primary bud that was somewhat leafed out on the 26th.  There are 2 other buds that I know survived the freeze, but showing less development as of today.  Like this one, they both have inflorescence.  Most of the leafed out buds were toast, but a few survived.

This is a unique trait in my vineyard.  I've never gotten a blossom from a vine that had leafed out prior to a frost.  Perhaps this is a Texas adaptation since late frosts are so common.  Doaniana is special.

1 comment:

  1. This, and two subsequent Doaniana vines with blossoms, turned out to be male. We still don't have a Doaniana seedling that will produce berries.

    ReplyDelete