Sunday, October 7, 2012

I became interested in growing wine grapes while in high school and briefly attended UC Davis. Wine growing didn't take root, though. In 1996, my wife and I moved from Dallas to Glen Rose and I started working on our 6 acres of woods and limestone. In 2005, I planted my first set of grape vines. Within 2 years, they had all died of Pierce Disease and salty well water. At that point, I found Jack McCunn on the Texas Wine Grape Growers list and took his suggestion to stick to varieties with North American genetics. Despite his help, the spring of 2009 had a devastating late frost in April. Growing vines on the banks of the Paluxy river, where cold frosty air collect, my vines were particularly hard hit. A friend up on the ridges above me was unscathed, though. I realized I was trying to grow grapes in the world's worst location: PD pressure, salty well water and high probability of late frost damage.

A few weeks later, still rocked by the violence spring had wrought on my vineyard, my wife and I were exploring some backroads near Clairette. I happened to see a stand of cinerea in full bloom. The vines were next to a bridge over a creek and, being at the bottom of a valley, should have been wiped out like my own vines. Seeing them was a huge surprise. I realized my vineyard was a perfect spot to breed improved cinerea. All the problems would just serve to make better vines. From that point on, I've wanted to grow improved cinerea and create a great native Texas wine here in Glen Rose. The photo of me here was taken on that day. I'm standing in front of those vines. The vision I have is more than just a great wine, its a life style. Perhaps the simplest image of this lifestyle I can share is this. Imagine a 'friends and family' October grape stomp of freshly harvested Glen Rose grapes. As I write in 2012, that isn't possible. Wine grapes in North Texas ripen during the heat of August, and unless you can get it done between 6 and 7 AM, no one wants to go outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment